Sunday, July 15, 2012

My Mother's Time



My mother is Karen Anne (Steen) Cote. During my childhood she spent her time making our house a home. I had so many food alergies, my mom cooked almost every night. Though food was not the only thing keeping my mom busy. We had a large garden in the yard with tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, green beans, etc. We also had a second plot at a local college which grew many of the same things - we canned a lot of these for the winter. Also in our yard we had apple trees and a grape arbor - this meant homemade apple sauce, grape jelly, and other yummy goodness.

My mom always found time for her art. Sculptures and paintings filled our homes. She had an large art studio in the basement and was always working on a painting. When we moved to Florida she was busy with her teaching. Her art projects for class became her art - I know she missed oil painting (she started oil painting as soon as she retired!).

My mom also sewed - so much that we had a room dedicated to sewing when I was little. This sewing room did become my bedroom when I was 13 - thank you, mom, for giving it up. My mom made lots of clothes for my sister and me. I never owned a pair of jeans until I was 14! My favorite was a red, white, and blue dress that I wore in the 1976 Fourth of July parade.

My mom always made time for the family. We camped almost every weekend and she would play board games and sing songs and read books with us. She read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series to us when I was 12. We mapped the journey of Bilbo Baggins on a large map she drew so we could 'see' where he was. She read Little House on the Prairie series; Betsy, Tacy, Tib series; Anne of Green Gables; and so many other books with us. My sister and I have a love of reading because our mother read with us and around us. She was well known to stay in the 'thrown room' just finishing a chapter.

So I ramble on. I am lucky to still have my mother around me and my family. She hosts Art Camp for the the grandchildren every summer and my sister and I HAVE to attend as well. We create and talk and share during this week of art. I am so thankful to have had a mother who showed me how to spend time on and with the ones you love.

Love you, Mom!  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment